Thursday, 6 March 2014

ISU Book: The Known World by Edward P. Jones

This year, I decided to do my ISU on The Known World by Edward P. Jones. This book is about Henry Townsend, a black farmer and former slave, who, through the unexpected events of life in Virginia, is now himself an owner of a slave plantation. After Henry dies, his wife, Caldonia, struggles to maintain the plantation and even further chaos ensues.

In general, this novel discusses the moral complexities of slavery and connects in this way to the real world. I'll be comparing this to The Book of Negroes for the assignment, which should be interesting because there is so much overlap in story between the two books.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the short summary at the beginning, it is very neatly done. The summary is not the only part of the blogpost though. Maybe give a little more information on the comparison to the Book of Negroes. What are you going to compare? What similarities/differences do the books have? How are the protagonists similar? Make sure to dig a little deeper when looking at the books. Don't just focus on the plot. I really like that you included the cover of the book in your post, it makes it easier to visualize. In general, I really like the theme you chose for your blog, it looks pretty modern and neat at the same time. In general i can say, that this is a well done blogpost that is nice to read.

    ReplyDelete